Thursday, April 17, 2014

Mining Bees

4/14/14 I was out on a call for stinging insects.I figured it was most likely to be Yellow Jackets. It was raining that day and thought "good,they will all be in the nest". Upon arrival I found dozens of small holes (less than the diameter of a pencil). No activity was observed.  I proceeded to flush one out to see what I was dealing with here.
To my surprise,I found Mining Bees. "Andrena" in Akron,Ohio not Yellow Jackets.
I am glad it was a  Bee,and not a Wasp.
I predict a heavy population of stinging insects this year. It is off to a good start. Keep your eyes and ears open to avoid being stung. If you have an allergy to Bees then I recommend getting an "Epipen" and keep one near you at all times.
PS. I did not kill the Bees. In fact I plan to have my first (Honey Bee) hive up by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment